Monday, February 26, 2007

Not about courtship

Last week I heard a presentation called "The Perfect Date", by a couple which agreed to marry one another sight unseen, relying on the judgement of the groom's parents and the couple's commitment to following the will of God as they saw it.

I am a firm believer in strong parental involvement and guidance in support of their children's selection of a wife or husband. However, while I admit that God has historically blessed some such marriages -- and I have no reason to think otherwise of this young couple -- I heard some very serious issues beyond their obvious challenge to 21st century culture. I have more to say about this later but at this point, suffice it that I don't think they've found the perfect pattern at all, neither Biblically nor culturally.

No comments: