Monday, February 06, 2006

Terence, This is Stupid Stuff

Saturday night I stopped at Wal-Mart for a few pounds of cheese.  Sharp cheddar is a staple around our place; you might as well run out of milk and coffee as let the cheese supply dwindle.

This is a couple of days late -- Sunday is busy for us -- but for the record, I observed two things in that short trip:

1)  An unusual number of guys were in the store for a weekend evening.  I don't normally notice but it was obvious, and the cashier confirmed it for me.  I was over in the grocery section, too.

2)  Three things, at least, had taken heavy hits -- the Kaiser roll rack at the deli; the Coca-Colas on the end cap (note that the Diet Dr. Pepper on the same display was largely untouched); and the ranch flavor salad dressing.  Being on a mission, I did not detour down the beverage aisle nor the salty snack division, so no observations there. 

Sure, it's obvious, but the ebb and flow of inventory at Wal Mart is an interesting, almost quantifiable indication of what's going on in the community.  Sort of a glimpse into the local pantry, anyway.

No comments: