Monday, April 16, 2007

SBC leader endorses Hillary?

In a sort of backhanded way, yes. The Washington Times reports that

Richard Land, president of the Religious and Ethics Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, takes a hard line against virtually all the major Republican candidates. He says he'd vote for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, New York Democrat, over Mr. Giuliani if the 2008 presidential race came down to such a choice.

Wow. And in the national election, too.

My approach has been to cast my purest philosophical vote in the primaries, but when it comes to the final ballot, I take the path suggested by William F. Buckley many years ago -- I go for "the rightwardmost viable candidate". It seems that by that time, unless there is an overriding reason not to vote at all -- and I'm not sure that a choice between Guiliani and Clinton may not be that circumstance --, it is better to block the worse candidate than to seek to punish the one who doesn't live up to my expectations. The latter approach, in my view, is why we have Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid leading the House and Senate this year.

No comments: