Saturday, May 19, 2007

You Run Your Business, I'll Run Mine

Recent events:

  • Major Big Box Office Supply Place: I needed manila envelopes for a business mailing. The box of 100 standard, house brand 9x13 envelopes was priced thirty cents less than the box of 50. That's right -- we'll pay you thirty cents to carry out the second box. If I get a thousand, can I have them free?

  • Major Big Box Pharmacy: I was buying an over the counter medicine on Wednesday, and the clerk asked if I'd like the M&M's at three for a dollar. Okay, I said, and bought a bag full for my host's kids. (He's got seven and Mom needs some too) Next day, I pass by the same store on my trip home and thought I'd get some to provision the lonely miles ahead. The clerk rang them up at $1.60. I told her they were three for a dollar (as she had just sold to an elderly lady ahead of me). She told me that was with tax. No, I said, three for a dollar plus tax is about one dollar and seven cents. She gamely cancelled the transaction and rang them up again. They're still coming up $1.60, she told me. Never mind ...

So back to my own business now ...