Friday, December 28, 2007

Ron Paul on evolution: "I don't accept it as a theory"

Ron Paul was asked to clarify his views on evolution, as a follow-on to the question posed to GOP candidates recently. This is his reply, as nearly as I get it from the video:
“Well, first, I thought it was very inappropriate question, you know, for the presidency to be decided on a scientific matter ...

And I think it’s a theory, the theory of evolution, and I don’t accept it as a theory. The Creator that I know created us, every one of us, and created the universe, and the precise time and manner and all, I just don’t think we’re at a point that anybody has absolute truth on either side …”

I'm not sure what to make of Paul's reply, and not knowing where the exchange took place doesn't help. The hesitancy of his answer makes me wonder if it was an ad hoc statement rather than a conviction, and if the former, there's little point in dissecting his comment pro or con.

Incidentally, I have not heard of any prominent evangelical leaders who have endorsed Paul's candidacy, but I do know he's got serious support in some evangelical and conservative Catholic circles. He also has a contingent of homeschool supporters, including Isabel Lyman, but I'm not sure how many of them would identify themselves as "evangelical" for political purposes.

No comments: